Saturday, March 19, 2011

Starting to Climb the Ladder!

Here's how it all went down....(the long version, all for my amusement in the future...sorry to bore the rest of you folks!)
Nixon has done some DAMAGE on his Mama's body! Not with just the massive stretch marks that cover my entire torso, but also with extra padding in my hips and my tummy. BOO! Everyone said, oh it takes a year to get back to your pre-baby self. Well folks, my son is going to be TWO next week and Mama STILL jiggles! Since my dear husband is a avid gym member that as luckily pushed me to go to the gym, and not only that but it is nice to get out of the house and feel good about something. BUT it finally hit me that it is TIME to actually put some effort, a lot of effort, and try to make some improvement in the jiggly department!
I signed up for something called "Boot Camp" at our gym which is pretty much a Biggest Loser style work out with a trainer. I will just tell you one thing, I can honestly say I have NEVER worked out so hard in my life! Those classes are TOUGH! Everyday I go I just can't help being scared for what the trainer has next up her sleeve! It definitely makes you push yourself and do things you never thought possible. And to be honest, I LOVE it. I love leaving the class extremely sweaty with a bright red face. It makes me feel GOOD! There was actually one class where I honestly felt like I needed to call Conner to carry Nixon from the gym to the car, it was that bad! haha!!
On the off days (Tuesday & Thursday) I have decided to put running to the test. I have NEVER been a runner. The summer of 2008 I tried to run consistently everyday, but we are talking 2-3 miles. The last time I had ran was in September and that was even only about 1 mile at a time here and there. I had first heard that sometimes in boot camp they make your run to the temple and back which is 4 miles. That SCARED ME TO DEATH! So the day before boot camp I hit the treadmill after 5 months and ran that 4 miles. I was pretty excited about it, and the cool thing is that it definitely pushed me to see how much more I could do. I ran 6 miles last week and I was stoked. ( I DO not have my mother's running gene so 6 miles was a big accomplishment for ME!)
The crazy person that I am decided, well if I ran 6 miles once I can do it again!....So this morning I did my very first 10k!! I knew I was going to do the 5k, but in the back of my head I thought that I really wanted to push myself and do the 10k. I called my mom and had a chat with her about it. She told me exactly how it is, running is a total mind game. If you tell yourself you are going to run the longer distance, then you will! After that convo I was set on doing the 10k, but I was still scared to death!! 
I woke up this morning with my tummy churning and drove to what very well could have been my death. I registered for the race and walked around for a minute thing how stupid I was as I saw all of the people who looked like runners with the running gear and all! That was not me! I was the rookie baby! 
When the race finally started, everyone passed me up. I kept peaking behind to see if I really was the last one in the 10k race. Besides those mama's pushing their strollers walking, I was the last one! That sure put a damper on my spirits, but I knew I had to pace myself right if I wanted to finish. (Oh, and I forgot to mention this race was on a CHILLY Logan morning, on campus, which is even more chilly and extremely windy!) After about 2 miles of running, I looked off to the side and saw CONNER & NIXON standing there to cheer me on. When I left for the race they were both sound asleep, I had no idea I would see them there. I ran the rest of the race with a big smile and pushing myself even harder. Luckily near the end of the race, for my own sake, I was passing up a lot of people who passed me at the beginning. (Pacing yourself is key I guess!) I sprinted in the the finish line thinking people would be standing around cheering everyone on, but that wasn't the case. haha! Anyways, I am SO glad that I had that chat with my mom and decided to push myself by doing the 10k. I know for most of you people, 6 miles is NOTHING. That is why I almost feel like an idiot even writing about it. For me, it was a big accomplishment and something I feel so good about. Maybe someday I can be more like my mom, sister-in-law, cousins, and all you other crazies out there and push myself for that 1/2 marathon. SOMEDAY!
After the race Conner took Nixon and I to Angie's for some breakfast. When we got home I crashed on the couch. Conner said, "You ran 6 miles, and you act like you just crossed a battle field!" hahaha!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow ky I'm so proud of you. Remember when running around the gym track was hard on us... look now your running 6 miles, I think thats really awesome. Love you

matesen said...

I am SO proud of you! Running is dang hard. You have motivated me to start running again. Good work!

Eric and Shayly said...

You go girl!! I die in a 5k haha. So I am WAY proud of you. Look at the cute mommy go! When we are back in Logan lets hang out, work out, and catch up!!

preston. shawnee. cohen. said...

Kylee, you are awesome!!! I think for most people 6 miles is GREAT. That would be an accomplishment for me too! I've always thought it would be neat to get into running more and possibly run a half marathon.... but who knows when it will actually be a reality :) You look great though! I'll trade you for my 6 month prego bod if you want..... ha

Stefanie D. said...

6 miles is such an accomplishment! You should totally sign up for a half marathon. I am running my first 1/2 this year. I AM PUMPED. So..I have a running blog...I talk about it endlessly on my blog/facebook so you may already know about it but, if not

http://run-on-riot.blogspot.com

Jordan + Sasha said...

yay its finally letting me leave a comment! you blog hates me!!
but YAY! kylee thats awesome, and i love your hat!!

Rachelle Wardle said...

Good job! I was scared to death for my first 10K. Running is definitely 100% mental and it is not easy but it is a lot of fun.

I hope you keep running and if you do decide to do a half you should do top of Utah. I have heard it is a fairly easy course and right in Logan. :)

Connie said...

Good job! I'm proud of you:) You're on your way now. Be glad you've started young, that way you'll get your marathon in before you're nearing 50 like me.